Oriental Pearl Tower | The Bund | Yuyuan Garden | Nanjing Road | Zhujiajiao Water Village |
The Yuyuan Garden is a historical Chinese classical garden of more than 400 years old. It is also considered the largest and most complete classical garden in the area. Yuyuan Garden was first established in 1559 by Pan Yunduan, a Ming Dynasty official. It was only completed 20 years later in 1577 and was meant to be a retirement place for his father, also a high ranking Ming official.
Alongside the Yuyuan Garden is the famous Chenghuang Miao or Old City God Temple of Shanghai. It has an even longer history then Yuyuan Garden. The Chenghuang Miao was originally dedicated to the spirit of Jinshan, an island off the coast of Shanghai. It was converted into the City God Temple in 1403. Today, the Chenghuang Miao remains popular with visitors praying for good fortune and blessing.
Both Yuyuan Garden and Chenghuang Miao are located in the Old City area of Shanghai. The surrounding streets are also home to many specialty shops and antique businesses some of which are over a century old. The area is served by Yuyuan Garden Station of Metro Line 10.
Copyright @ www.eChinaExpat.com
Cities and Provinces
Shanghai City Main
China Holidays 2013
Types of China Visa
China Power Plugs
Shanghai Railway Stations
Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station
Shanghai Railway Station
Shanghai South Railway Station
Shanghai Pudong International Airport
Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport
Shanghai Essential Services
Shanghai Financial Services